If the Fast Buck is fast, then doubling the power surely has to make it a Faster Buck. After building one of these armored trucks box stock many years ago, I knew when I ran across another that I had to modify it this time… but how?

fast_buck_big

It wasn’t long before I noticed that it was almost the same width as the S’Cool Bus chassis, and the idea was born. I quickly found another body and wondered if I could successfully blend the two together. There are some horizontal body lines and I knew both of my cuts would have to be square and straight. I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t a bit nervous going in, but I’ve learned to work slow and steady.

I would also totally be lying if I said I meticulously measured things. I’m more of an “eyeball engineering” guy. Though I did use a speed square and masking tape to mark out the lines, in the end they weren’t perfectly square.

However, like Bob Ross I often have “happy accidents” and the resulting downward slope of the front half gives the long body just a bit of a bow that helps accentuate the “nose down” attitude of a drag car. It’s a bit more dynamic and I like it. I simply rolled with it.

With everything cut apart they were glued together, and I added some styrene rails on the inside to keep things lined up. I then filled the rear wheel opening of the first body, the hood scoop area and the front step footwell.

After splicing the bodies together I filled the rear wheel opening and side step with sheet stock.

After splicing the bodies together I filled the rear wheel opening, hood scoop and side step with sheet stock.

The S’Cool Bus chassis was almost the right length… almost. I dialed it in by shortening the overhang behind the axle and relocating the front axle. I carefully removed a little from the frame sides to tuck it into the body and capped the cuts with more styrene rails. I mounted the step boards to the chassis to serve as a body stop.

I trimmed the chassis sides down and capped them with styrene rails. The hinge worked great after I shortened the rear. This was a glorious moment in the build.

I trimmed the chassis sides down and capped them with styrene rails. The hinge worked great after I shortened the rear. This was a glorious moment in the build.

After carefully blending in the seams and painting the chassis, I sprayed the body blue to match the original design and added just enough decals to give it some life. This Mad Money Mover is now ready to take those quarter-mile winnings to the bank!

Bonus Peek:

FB_4x4

If I remember correctly I got a Fast Buck kit with the back half of another kit with it. After taping them up, I couldn’t resist setting it over my Monster Van’s chassis.

FB_FC

One of my initial brain farts was to turn it into a funny car with twin engines using the AMT Double dragster frame. While I liked the concept, obviously I wanted to go bigger.